Things For Families To Do In Hawaii
Starting with Kauai, one of the best islands to visit if you are traveling with kids because the tradition and culture of Kauai surrounds Ohana or family simply meaning that your child will be celebrated and very much welcomed.Things your family can do together on the island are:
- Crafts and cultural activities usually offered at the resorts of Kauai.
- Beach games
- Nature walks
- Surfing lessons
- Sand sculpture contests
- Coconut frond weaving
- Tidepool exploring
The Kauai Children’s Discovery Museum in Kapaa which has many interactive exhibits and the Starlight Planetarium which tells how the Polynesian voyagers used the stars, winds and ocean to navigate their canoes over the Pacific are two museums for children that the whole family will enjoy!
Next up is the island Oahu which also has some great family adventures such as:
- Submarine rides that take you by sunken ships, airliners and reef structures.
- Home to Hawaiian Waters Adventure Park
- Sea Life Park where you can meet dolphins, sea turtles, stingrays, sharks, and moray eels.
- Honolulu Zoo
- Waikiki Aquarium
- 4,000-acre Kualoa Ranch where you can explore by horse, ATV, helicopter, Jet Ski or kayak.
The resorts of Oahu also offer calmer family fun activities like making learning how to make a lei, a kite, and lauhala weaving.
Following Oahu is the island of Molokai which is perfect for the family that loves to explore the open wilderness, tide pools and trek across untouched beaches. You can even rope cattle at the real island ranch!
Did I mention its cloudless nights allow you to see the constellations perfectly?! Great for those who are into astrology.
Lanai is the least crowded making it attractive to families for safety, however, this doesn’t take away from all the things you can do on this island:
- Explore the entire 141-square mile island on foot or by 4X4.
- Watch the dolphins and humpback whales that play off-shore
- Make a lei
- Even learn to hula dance!
Second to last we have Maui, the most popular island for honeymooners, but don’t think there isn’t a list of adventures for families to do as well on this beautiful island:
- Explore a bamboo forest and look for rare tropical
- Volcano exploring
- Glass-bottom boat rides
- The Maui Ocean center has a 750,000-gallon open-ocean tank and walk-through glass tube
Last but not least … Hawaii’s Big Island.
It’s the largest of Hawaii’s islands and it also has the largest family and since its culture is also family-centered, there are many interesting things for families to do together such as:
- Explore the Kona coast which boasts desert like lava plains
- Home to the rainiest city in America – Hilo
- Explore the world’s tallest mountain, Mauna Kea which is 13,796 ft. above sea level.
- Visit the rainforest
- Camping for the families that like the outdoors
- See black lava rock
No matter what your family enjoys doing, you’ll be sure to find it on one or more (maybe even all) of the Hawaiian Islands.